Michael Janz Celebrant

1 5 5.0 (36 reviews) 
Service Area
Business Hours
Any time by appointment
07 2101 5834

Expert Advice

As a wedding professional, Michael Janz Celebrant offers expert advice to help couples plan their perfect day. Ask a question or read their expert advice.

who are the witnesses if you elope?

It is a legal requirement that there are two witnesses over the age of 18 and  they can understand what is said in the ceremony and can read the documents they are witnessing .

If you wish to have any elopoment without you providing the witnesses, it is best to discuss this with your celebrant who may be able to assist.

All the very best

Michael Janz


If my divorce is not finalised, but I want to remarry... can I file a Notice of Intention to Marry?

You can lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage Form with a Celebrant prior to your divorce  being finalised.The marriage however cannot be performed until the divorce is finalised.

All the best

Michael Janz


We are coming to Australia for a holiday and we want to get married there, it this legal?

You don't have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry in Australia.

There are legail requirements that must be attended to prior to the wedding ceremony. A completed Notice of Intended Marriage form must be given to your celebrant at least one month before the wedding. You can give it to your celebrant up to 18 months beforehand. The notice may be completed and witnessed outside Australia if required.

It would be wise to engage a Celebrant to assist you with the process as early as possible.

All thebest

Michael Janz


can marriage celebrants perform religious ceremonies?

Hi I'm pleased to create a ceremony with religious traditions, prayers and conventions. In fact as a civil celebrant I have greater scope to develop a religious ceremony without limitations that some ministers of religion may have.

Both religious and civil celebrants must comply with the legal requirements set out by the federal government.

The big difference is that a religious ceremony is about being wed in the eyes of God (or whichever deity you believe in), while a civil ceremony is about being wed in the eyes of the law.

My advice is to meet with a Celebrant of your choosing to discuss what you would like.

All the very best!

whats your favourite kind of wedding ceremony?

like short and sweet, romantic with readings, personalised etc.


I love personalising a wedding for a couple so that really represents them and their relationship. Many weddings today tend to last between 15 and 20 minutes so it's important it is a celebration that fits the couple.

When I first meet with a couple I need to understand what they are looking for. Lots of people aren't sure. To help,  the Wedding Kit, I give a couple has a document that goes through the ceremony elements that are often used with plenty of choices. I then try and match the couple with three example ceremonies for wedding I have celebrated.. I just change names on the examples! From  this starting point it's so easy.

The result creates a ‘WOW’ factor in a ceremony and nothing says that more than making the ceremony uniquely personal, simply by celebrating your love and relationship.

All the very best



how do i choose who signs as our witness?

Hi You can choose whoever you wish provided they are over 18 years old and can understand what is being said in the ceremony. You need two witnesses. Generally, the best man and a bridesmaid/matron of honour fulfil the role.  

More and more couples get different people to act as witnesses. It's a great way to involve special people in you life like grandparents.

All the very best in your decision making.


If I am getting married overseas, will my marriage be recognised in Australia?

or do I need to have a legal ceremony here too.


The best way for me to respond to this question is to quote from http://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/all-travellers/birth-death-marriage/pages/getting-married-overseas.aspx

"Marriages entered into overseas are generally recognised as valid in Australia

  • if the marriage was recognised as valid under the law of the country in which it was entered into, at the time when it was entered into, and
  • providing the marriage would have been recognised as valid under Australian law if the marriage had taken place in Australia.

There is no requirement to register a marriage in Australia which takes place overseas. The foreign marriage certificate is prima facie evidence in Australia of the occurrence and validity of the marriage in that country."

Many couples choose to have a simple ceremony in Australia and the have an "exotic" commitment ceremony overseas.



Michael Janz


Our celebrant gave us a brochure called "happily ever before and after"?

They explained why which is fine, but this brochure is really terrible haha, why is this still a thing?!

Hi, Celebrants are obligated to provide this brochure. I'm sure they gave you worthwhile advice and assistance.


Michael Janz (Authorised Celebrant)

How long does a civil ceremony take?

I'm having a civil ceremony but I don't know how long it should be to give me enough time to do photos after and also not bore my guests? How long does the average civil ceremony take?

Hi Judith

The length of a ceremony depends what you want included. Most ceremonies take between 10 and 20 minutes. I'd be happy to discuss how to happy and memorable, happy ceremony where boredom isn't and optio.


Michael Janz (Authorised Celebrant) Ph: 0411420918

Why do you have to kiss at the wedding ceremony?

Does it actually serve a purpose or is it just a thing people do...?

Hi Hayley, Whether you kiss or not is entirely up to you. Whilst there is an element of tradition with "the kiss", apart from the mandatory requirements your celebrant will discuss with you, the rest of the ceremony is what you and your partner want. All the very best with you wedding and the future.
Michael Janz

How long would I require a celebrant for?

Generally, when couples book a celebrant how long do they book them for?

Hi Lucy As a Celebrant it is our role to help ensure your wedding ceremony is exactly what you want and meets all legal requirements. In my role, I will spend as much time as is needed to ensure this happens and not charge extra if this involves several meetings. Often we need to help guide a couple as they don't know what needs to be done. This is usually discussed an initial hour to an hour and half meeting. Once you meet and are happy with your celebrant the amount of time needed will become clear. Best wishes for your upcoming Wedding. Kind regards Michael Janz Authorised Celebrant

Is it ok to use the same Celebrant that our friends used?

What are your thoughts on using the same celebrant that a friend used? Have you experienced this before?

Hi Kate

Using a Celebrant your friends have used is often an easy starting point. Experienced Celebrants gain a lot of work through such referrals.

As every couple and wedding is different, it's probably a great idea to talk to a couple of celebrants on the phone to see if there is initial rapport. I'm happy to meet a couple in a no-obligation face-to-face meeting to ensure you and the Celebrant 'click'.

All the very best for your upcoming Wedding.

Michael Janz

Authorised Celebrant

Why enquire through Easy Weddings?

Exclusive deals

Get the best deals for your wedding with Easy Weddings only discounts and special offers.

Win a Maldives honeymoon

Simply let us know which Easy Weddings' suppliers you've booked. Once verified, you'll get entries into the draw for your chance to win!
* Competition Excludes ACT

Quick response

Your time is important. Get the information you need quickly. No fuss. No stress.