Fusion Elements - Felicity McShane Marriage Celebrant
There are so many different Rituals that can be included and it really does come down to personal preference and whether it reflects your own personalities as a couple. From traditional, cultural, spiritual, religious or family come many symbolic gestures that may have special or different meanings to be celebrated. We live in a multi-cultural society and couples like to acknowledge traditions from their own heritage. This helps the couple to retain their own connection with their tradition/culture.
Favourite rituals/symbolic gestures that I have come across so far include:
· Candle lighting to represent either side of the family or to acknowledge the deceased / people not being in attendance.
· The releasing of butterflies
· The giving away / Blessing / Presentation of the bride
· Sand Unity / Family blending
· Hand fastening ceremony
· Congregation blessing of the couple
· Music, poetry or stories
· Exchanging of wedding rings
· Time capsules, planting wedding trees
· Theme: Hindu, Medieval, beach, country, garden
Whatever the ritual, it gives your guests a sense of belonging and specialness in the eyes of the couple and can be seen to strengthen the bond between the couple depending on the chosen ritual.
As a celebrant, being open to suggestion and being able to perform any type of cultural / tradition ritual is a given. If we are not certain how to perform it, then we research it, practice it and learn it. A ritual can create a powerful moment between the couple involved and evoke a sense of deepened love not felt before towards one another. It is a privilege and honour to sometimes be asked to be a part of that and make it all happen.