Inspired by female vocalists like Sarah McLachlan, Kina Grannis, First Aid Kit, Eva Cassidy and Regina Spektor, Kim has brought her melodious and warm voice from her hometown of Taipei to the cafes and streets of Canberra. Her soothing instrument fingerpicking accompanying her singing captures the attention of passers-by.
Playing both ukulele and guitar, Kim is able to switch between music genres to adopt the mood of her audience. Since developing a passion for music at an early age, Kim has shared her voice everywhere from intimate bookshops to national television. In 2009 Kim gained national attention in Taiwan when appearing on one episode of a talent show.
Kim's 2020 single Garden of Eden (a bushfire tribute) received 4.5 stars from Triple J’s Roots ‘n’ All Host, Nkechi Anele, who said: ‘Kim Yang is a force of nature, and she humbles me.'
Kim performed at National Folk Festival 2019, Enlighten Festival 2020, Canberra Theatre Centre’s CTC@Home series and Stage 88 Australia Day Concert 2021 alongside James Reyne, Daryl Braithwaite, Kingswood and Fanny Lumsden. Kim shares her musical talent with bands such as Muddy Wolfe and Iboga Gazebo. In 2019 Kim went on tour for her debut EP ‘Ocean of Mind' after a sold-out EP launch, she also supported ARIA & APRA-awarded alt-Country artist Tori Forsyth. In 2020 Kim supported ARIA & APRA winning indie-folk artist Josh Pyke in Canberra.
"Kim Yang is an outstanding singer/songwriter who bridges cultures with songs about her experiences in both Taiwan and Australia. Kim made her first appearance at the National Folk Festival in 2019 exciting and engaging audiences with her fresh and honest style. I’m sure this will be the first of many."
- Pam Merrigan, Artistic Director, National Folk Festival -
"Kim Yang creates music for the soul. With her ethereal blend of sounds, she creates music that balances delicately between vulnerability and power. It feels simultaneously grounded and exploratory; it’s rooted in acoustic folk, but reaches far wider..."
- Happy Mag, Sydney -
"Holy crap your voice is AMAZING - spellbinding even. You had me from the first melody and kept me enthralled all the way through to the end." - Nkechi Anele, Triple J unearthed -
Get in touch today!
Note: the quotes are applicable within the Canberra region (within 30 minutes drive from my location, South Canberra)
- Wedding Ceremony Music only
(including 30-minute music for guest arrival, a special song request for the Aisle Song, selected 2 Signing Songs and 1 Exit Song from my song list)
- Wedding Ceremony Music Canape Music (total time up to 2.5 hours, including music for 30-minute guest arrival)
- Wedding Ceremony Music Canape Music Reception DJ Music live performance for the first dance, if preferred. (6pm till midnight sharp)
~POTENTIAL EXTRA CHARGES~
- $70 per song for special song request that is not on my song list.
- $50 (one way) for every half an hour driven out of Canberra
- $200 if accommodation is needed
- Meals need to be included for the musician during the wedding.
- The musician needs a short break every 45 to 60 minutes while performing, background music will be played while the musician takes a break.