Wedding receptions tend to follow a similar pattern, including a number of wedding rituals and traditions. Whether you are having a formal or informal reception, this should help you plan your order of affairs.
The order of service:
- The guests are served canapes and drinks, as they gather at the reception.
- As the bride, groom and bridal party arrive at the reception they are served or canapes and drinks separately while the guests are seated.
- The bridal party enter the reception and are announced to the guests. The bride and groom should be the last seated.
- Entree and Main courses are served.
- Toasts are given.
- Telegrams are read aloud by the best man.
- The cake is cut by the bride and groom.
- The bridal waltz is preformed by the bride and groom.
- The parents and bridal party then join the bride and groom on the dance floor.
- After this all other guests are welcome to join the dancing.
- Dessert is served.
- Bride throws her bouquet.
- The bride and groom change into their traveling clothes (optional).
- The bride and groom return to the reception to say their finale goodbyes.
Seating Positions (left to right): Groomsmen, Best man, Groom, Bride, Maid of honour, Bridesmaids
How did you choose your wedding date?
80% of Australian couples use Easy Weddings to connect with their dream wedding suppliers.
Browse the directory and start planning today!