Elizabeth Bay House is one of Sydney’s best-kept secrets, situated above Elizabeth Bay with majestic views across Sydney Harbour and beyond. Elizabeth Bay House was known as ‘the finest house in the colony’. With its impressive colonial façade and elegant furnishings, it is perfectly suited for intimate weddings and events.
Looking for a strikingly elegant wedding venue doused in true Australian history? If so, you’ll adore what Elizabeth Bay House has to offer. Built in the 1800s by famed architect, John Verge, and occupied by Colonial Secretary Alexander Macleay, this extraordinary location has become known as one of Sydney’s ‘best-kept secrets’.
This plush mansion is truly the epitome of sophistication and class, with tasteful furnishings, a gorgeous roaring fireplace, luxuriously high ceilings, and sandstone detailing. You and your guests will feel like you’ve been whisked away to another era, with plenty of unique photo opportunities and unforgettable moments to be had.
If a stylish ceremony within Elizabeth Bay House’s majestic three-storey elliptical saloon followed by a magnificent reception experience in the romantic, heritage-decorated dining space sounds sublime, look no further. The charming sandstone cellar, elevated verandah, dedicated wedding coordinator, and spectacular Sydney Harbour views are also worth a marvel.
“We are so glad we hired the Elizabeth Bay House for our wedding. The colonial-style home looked out to the Sydney Harbour. The catering was amazing, and the team was so attentive. We took so many amazing photos inside and outside the venue! I felt like a princess.” — Christina M.
What you’ll love about your wedding at Museum of History NSW: Elizabeth Bay House:
- Stunning wedding settings. If the gorgeous colonial façade wasn’t enough to spark your imagination, you’ll adore what lies beneath the ivory-coloured walls of Elizabeth Bay House. The exquisite saloon is perfect for an elegant ceremony. Envision yourself making a grand entrance down the domed-ceiling staircase to the blissful soundtrack of a string quartet. The gorgeous dining room boasts a unique, romantic atmosphere, complete with antique furnishing, stunning high ceilings, and a charming open fireplace. The lavish hall, elevated verandah, and European-style sandstone cellar complete with its own private courtyard are also popular spaces to soak up the historic ambience of the venue.
- The rich Australian history. As a history buff’s dream venue, Elizabeth Bay House tells the tale of an iconic Sydney back-story. The building was once surrounded by lush, manicured gardens in the 1800s and considered one of the finest houses in the colony. Although riches turned to ruin for its original owner, Alexander Macleay, this remarkable venue remains a cherished and admired reminder of ambition, extravagance, and exquisite taste.
- Mouthwatering cuisine. Elizabeth Bay House works with several premium caterers across New South Wales who offer premium catering services. Whether you’re after a lovely cocktail-style reception or a grand, formal banquet dinner, Elizabeth Bay House promises an unforgettable dining experience for you and your guests.
What Museums of History NSW's: Elizabeth Bay House weddings are like:
- Elegant, historic wedding venue
- Awe-inspiring Sydney Harbour views
- Stunning on-site ceremony and reception locations
- Dedicated wedding coordinator
- A/V equipment and team
- Exclusive wedding photography access
What’s the maximum capacity for weddings at Sydney Living Museums: Elizabeth Bay House?
Elizabeth Bay House can accommodate up to 40 guests for a sit-down reception or up 100 guests for a lavish cocktail soiree - a memorable, unique wedding experience.
“Beautiful historic house with stunning views and charming old architecture and furnishings. The team was very friendly and knowledgeable, and very willing to answer questions.” — Harold J.
A dedicated member of our friendly venue services team at Elizabeth Bay House will work closely with you to create a successful and memorable experience. Whether this is planning your wedding day, gathering friends and family to celebrate a key milestone, or working with you on your next business event, our team of event professionals is here to help.
The Venue Services & Events Team