Can use your marriage certificate to change you middle name to you Maiden name?

Wondering if you can change your name from [First name] [Middle Name] [Maiden Name] to [First name] [Maiden Name] [Spouse's Surname] using just your marriage certificate. I am looking to replace my existing middle name with my Maiden name after our wedding.

Question Asked: 17/08/2020 Wedding Date: 9/08/2018

Most Helpful Response

Angela Limberis - Marriage Civil Celebrant


(3) Posted: 16/08/2021

Unfortunately, no it has go  Motor Vehicles on your driver's licence.


PH Celebrants

Melbourne and Statewide Victoria

(0) Posted: 18/02/2021

No! If you would like to change your name then I would advise you to contact BDM (BIrths, Deaths and Marraiges) they are incredibly helpful and they will be able to guid you how to do this. 

If you need any further hlep please contact me. 

Best regards,



Petra Harmer-Shrowder

Commonwealth Registered Marriage Celebrant

Treasured Ceremonies

Melbourne, All Suburbs, Mornington Peninsula, Geelong, Yarra Valley

(17) Posted: 23/11/2020

The marriage ceremoney is not the correct way to make changes and I would advise you to make whatever changes before the wedding ceremony takes place. Your friendly BDM office can help you with all the necessary paperwork

Phoebe Pham Celebrant

Sydney and surrounds

(11) Posted: 29/10/2020

Hi there,

If you want to change your surname to your partner's surname after marriage, you cannot use the commemorative marriage certificate given to you on your wedding day. You will need to apply foir an offcial certificate of marriage from the Birth Death Marriages (BDM) registry in which your ceremony took place. Your celebrant can help you to apply an official certificate up to 2 months after your marriage is registered.


(11) Posted: 30/09/2020


First you will need to apply to the relevant Births Deaths and Marriages department  in your state or territory to obtain your registered marriage certificate. This is different from the commemorative one presented by the celebrant on the wedding day. Second you apply for a name change through Births Deaths and Marriages using your marriage certificate and identity documents in support.

I hope that helps.

Cheers Sue

Ever After Celebrancy

Adelaide, Fleurieu Peninsula, Adelaide Hills, McLaren Vale and Surrounding Areas

(1) Posted: 29/09/2020

Hi there,

Unfortunately you can't use the Marriage Certificate that you receive on your wedding day.  You will need to use an official Certificate provided by Births, Deaths and Marriages, which you apply for online.  

If you are in South Australia, the link is:

All the best - and remember to keep a certified copy of it with you for a while afterwards.  You will be surprised how many times it will come in handy!

Tania - Ever After Celebrancy

(0) Posted: 23/08/2020

Good question. If you are just taking your partner's name you can use your marriage certificate but as this is a change of name away from your original birth certificate and marriage certificate you would have to apply for a change of name through Births Deaths and Marriages.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask your own question and we'll have our experts answer it.