So, you’re engaged! One of the first things you will need to think about (after you relax and enjoy your engagement, of course), is your wedding venue. It may be something you’ve already seen or maybe you have no ideas in mind yet, but consider the area in which you’d like to get married and start thinking about booking in to view a few wedding venues, and have these crucial wedding venue questions handy:
What do you plan to do with your dress after the wedding?
According to our yearly wedding survey data, couples tend to choose their wedding date based on season and venue availability, with 35% of couples choosing spring, and 30% choosing autumn. Have a discussion with your partner about your preferred season and go from there. Choose a rough date and then ask the venues you are considering if they have any availability at that time.
- Do you have availability for the month we are considering?
- If not, what are the alternative times and dates with similar weather?
- How far in advance do we need to book the space?
- Will there be other weddings on the same day as ours?
- 5. Is there a discount for other seasons/times of the year?
- What is the fee for holding a wedding reception in this space?
- Is there an additional cost for the ceremony if we hold our reception here?
- Is there a discount for weekday weddings?
- Is there a surcharge for public holidays?
- What is the deposit amount, and when is the balance due?
- What payment types will you accept?
- Is there a fee for set-up and clean-up?
- Do you have a dedicated wedding day coordinator?
- Is there a fee if we stay longer, and what is that fee?
- Is there a minimum spend? And does this minimum depends on the day of the week?
Some venues will have specific rules for the spaces you can use and for what, and venues with accommodation may require you to book in on the night of the wedding. Some venues will have dedicated bridal suites for you to get ready as well. It’s worth knowing these options prior to booking your wedding venue.
- What is the maximum hire length?
- Are we able to hold a rehearsal at the venue?
- Is there bridal suite or are for the bridal party to get ready?
- Is seating provided for the ceremony? Can I use the same chairs for both ceremony and reception?
- Are the table linens, crockery, and cutlery included or do they need to be hired?
- Where are the bathrooms and how many are available?
- Is there accommodation on site?
- Can we book out a section of accommodation for our guests?
- Are there specific rules for confetti or throwing rice, or candles?
- Is there a speaker system for us to use for sound?
- Can we set up the venue the day before?
- When is bump in and bump out for our vendors?
- Does the venue have insurance for unforeseen circumstances?
- Is there a backup plan if the weather is bad?
- Is there a designated smoking area on site?
Parking and Transport:
You may opt to provide your guests with a bus or transport to and from the venue to save them the stress of driving. In order to do this, ensure that the venue is okay with this and has adequate parking space for your guests. If not, then you need to ensure there is room for your guests to park on site or nearby.
- How many parking spaces are available on site?
- Is the parking metered?
- Is the venue accessible for wheelchairs?
- Are taxi’s available to and from the venue?
- Are you able to book taxi’s for us at the end of the reception?
Food and Drink:
No matter what time of day you opt to hold your wedding is it customary to serve food and drink to guests, and the venue generally has some restrictions, preferred vendors, and other rules to consider. Here are some crucial wedding venue questions about catering:
- Do you have an alcohol permit?
- What time are you licenced to serve alcohol until?
- Do I need to have my cake made by you, or can I source one elsewhere?
- Is there a fee for cake cutting and serving?
- Is alcohol priced per person or by consumption?
- Can I tailor my alcohol package to suit my needs?
- If I hire my own caterers, are there restrictions on what they can serve?
- Can my caterers use the kitchen space?
- Are bartenders an additional cost?
80% of Australian couples use Easy Weddings to connect with their dream wedding suppliers.
Browse the directory and start planning today!