If you are looking for the highest quality professional service, who know what they are doing, with professional equiment and friendly attitude, price is what you pay for all the great values.
A lot of bride doesn't understand why some photographers charge so much for "just a few hours to take some photos", let me explain to you our work flow:
- - You found us on google? Because we have spent time on blogging and updating social media for each past wedding (5 hours)
- - Enquiry, quoting, meeting, design your timeline & booking stage - not all enquiry will end up as a booking (10 hours)
- - Once you are our client, we will start planning your wedding, giving you tips & support until your wedding day (10 hours)
- - Photographing your wedding day with 2x photographers (10 hours)
- - Post productions - look through all photos, select the best 1,000 for editing, photoshop each of them, savings, transfering to USB, uploading online (40 hours)
- - Delivery - mail out or meet up to drop off your USB box set; send you all the online links, after care customer service email to ensure you are happy (5 hours)
- - We spend an average 80-100 hours on each client (extra 50 hours to add videography)
Our equipment, editing software, marketing material & advertising, insurance, travel, data storage, USB, prints & albums, postage tax (lots of taxes)...
Numbers of weddings per year:
Most wedding photographers doesn't shoot wedding everyday.
Wedding photography specialist will only photographing weddings, there's a limit of number a year we can work, because they want to focus purely on weddings to master their skills and give you their 100% full attentions. Weddings is all they do.
There's only 6-8 months of good weather in Melbourne, there's a limited amount of weekends a year, roughly 32 good days.
Some photographers also offer other photography services such as portraits, family, maternity, babies, pets, commercial head shots, events and products photography during off seasons, their price can be lower but they may not be able to spend that much time on customer service or wedding planning.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to what is your priority.
What is your choice on how you want to spend your budget to what you think it's most important.
If you want a cheap photographer to capture your wedding, you can get a cheap photographer to capture your wedding.
But something must compromise for a cheaper price, you can get a burger from McDonald or from Jamie Oliver's restuarant, both can ease your hunger.
There's always someone who can match with your budget, if you are lucky, you could get a great photographer who doesn't know their worth and under charge you. But the old saying "You get what you paid for" is still true in most cases.
You only get married once, hiring a dude with a camera who likes to as a hobby could ruin your speical day, so make sure you ask lots of questions to find the right fit to do this important job.
Same goes to most professional photographers, it's our honoured to be invited to capture one of the most important day of someone's life, creating long lasting memories via our lenses, these images will be share for the next generation to come, we do not take this task lightly.
I hope this will give you some insight on why wedding photography is so expensive!
Good luck on finding your right fit! :)
Lowina from Black Avenue Productions (Melbourne)