If I want to hold my ceremony internationally, can I use a friend as my celebrant ?

We are wanting to have a destination wedding and a lot of the venues are providing non-legal wedding celebrant. Could we just get our fiend to officiate the ceremony instead of using these ? We will be coming back to Aus and getting officially married at a registry, we just want the non-legal ceremony and reception. Please let me know if anyone knows if this is possible.

Question Asked: 13/01/2024

Wedding Date: 13/01/2024

Most Helpful Response

Married by Marisa

(12) · Western Australia

Posted: 24/02/2024

Yes, as everyone else has stated as long as the legal requirements are performed by Civil Celebrant. Then your friend can do the rest.

Ut is much easier to get the legal paperwork completed in Australia first.

A ceremony that is performed at a later date after the legal ceremony has taken place is called a "Committal Ceremony"  there are plenty of good examples of committal ceremonies with templates on the internet.

If you want to get legally married overseas you can check to see if that particular country is also recognised by Australia as a legal place of marriage. A good way to check is by checking with the Australian Embassy. Also in the event of legally getting married overseas such as Bali or other countries, there may be paperwork that needs to be filled in at the Australian Embassy or Consulate of that country and a Australian Consular official will have to officiate the legal parts if two Australian citizens are wanting to "legally" get married overseas.

Otherwise if it is a non legal wedding, then anyone can officiate without using the legal wording.

Answered by: 5 Experts

Sort by:

Treasured Ceremonies

(16) · Byron Bay to Ballina , North Coast NSW and Gold Coast QLD

Posted: 23/02/2024

Yes, for sure. your friend is a non-legal celebrant in that case also, and can absolutely do the job.


(0) · Townsville / Magnetic Island, Charters Towers Richmond districts. Mission Beach,

Posted: 23/02/2024

Absolutely you can have a friend complete the non legal side of your wedding.

Good Luck.

Married by Graham Snow

(24) · Brisbane/Logan/Gold Coast/Ipswich/Lockyer Valley

Posted: 23/02/2024

100% you're allowed to do that. You only require a celebrant for the legal paperwork :) 

Happy Days Weddings Celebrant

(7) · Byron Bay - Happy to travel

Posted: 23/02/2024

Yes absoloutely! Celebrants are only needed for the legals bits - you can have your friend conduct the ceremony for you xx

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask your own question and we'll have our experts answer it.

Ask a question

Hi! I'm Chelsea and I can help you find suppliers for your wedding. Would you like some help today?

1 Chelseabot