Del Edwards - Weddingdells

(110 reviews)
Service Area
Sydney, Macarthur Region, Southern Highlands, Wollongong to Kiama  View Map
Business Hours
7 Days
Click to show

Questions and Answers

What documents do I need?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

You'll need to show me your original passport or birth certificate + some photo ID. However, if you've been married before, you will also need to provide evidence of how that marriage ended eg. Divorce papers or a Death Certificate.  If you have changed your name, you will need to provide evidence eg. Change of Name Certificate or Deed Poll documents.  I only speak English, so if any of your personal documents/certificates are in an alphabet other than English, they need to be translated by an accredited Translator.  The National Accreditation Authority for Translators & Interpreters Ltd (NAATI) is the national standards and accreditation body for translators and interpreters in Australia.  Their website is  

*Remember: Unless the Celebrant performing the Marriage Ceremony has sighted all necessary documentation prior to commencing the formal proceedings, the marriage cannot be officiated.  

My partner does not speak English, what do I need to do?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

If the Bride, Groom or either witness does not speak English well enough to understand the legal parts of the Ceremony, you are required to provide an Interpreter who can translate for the non-English speaking persons. Interpreters can be found on the NAATI website (, however, you can also have a friend or an associate to translate for you.  The person interpreting will be required to sign a Statutory Declaration before and after the ceremony, declaring that they have faithfully and honestly translated from English to the other language and back again.  

*Remember: Any fee associated with the provision of an Interpreter is the responsibility of the Bride and Groom.

Who can be a legal witness?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

Any two people who are willing to witness your entire wedding ceremony and who are at least 18 years of age!  It can be mum and dad, or your grandparents, the best man and MOH, or perhaps a friend who didn't make it into the bridal party (but you still want to involve them in your ceremony).  A witness is required to faithfully hear and understand your marriage vows and they will sign all three Marriage Certificates during the ceremony.  They do not need to be Australian residents, however, if they cannot understand English, you will need to employ an interpreter (see the question above).

How long is a ceremony?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

It's really up to you.  The Groom always wants it over quickly (LOL) and, if that's what you want, I can perform a 15 minute ceremony that ticks all the legal boxes, but also gives you something sweet to cherish.  Most often, however, a ceremony lasts between 20-30 minutes depending on how much content there is in your chosen vows, readings and symbolic rituals, eg. hand fasting or sand ceremony etc.

Can I write my own vows?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

Of course!  As long as the required legal words are included at either the beginning or the end.  These words cannot be separated: "I call upon the people here present to witness that I, FULL NAME, take you, FULL NAME, to be my wedded wife/husband/spouse"

How do I change my name after marriage?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

You will need to obtain the Official Standard Marriage Certificate from The Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages.  If your marriage was held in NSW, I can order this for you, or you can order it yourself any time after your marriage, either in person at a Government Service Centre or online.  For NSW residents, once the Official Standard Marriage Certificate is posted out to you, take it (and your old driver's license) to a Roads & Maritime Services Centre (RMS) or Service NSW Centre and apply for a new driver’s license in your married name.  The new license will be free, it will have the same expiry date as your old driver's license.  Changing your passport into your married name is also free if you apply within 12 months of your marriage AND you have at least two years validity left on your current passport.  Simply take the Official Marriage Certificate and identification paperwork to the post office or go online.

*When using the Official Standard Marriage Certificate, either party can change their name into that of their spouse at no cost. You can also double barrell your surnames or hypenate them.  You cannot, however, create a whole new surname that is a mixture of both your names; that will require a Change Of Name Certificate and there will be a cost involved.  

Eg. Brown marrying Taylor can be Taylor-Brown, but it cannot be Browlor

Do I need to be an Australian Citizen or Resident to get married?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

Not at all!  As long as you are both 18 years or older and you meet the other legal requirements for marrying in Australia (see below).  I marry a lot of overseas people who travel to Australia just to get married!

What are the legal requirements to be able to marry in Australia?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

To be legally married in Australia, a person must: 

  • not be married to someone else
  • not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • be at least 18 years old (unless a court has approved a marriage where one party is aged between 16 and 18 years old)
  • understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying
  • use specific words during the ceremony
  • give written notice of their intention to marry to their authorised celebrant, at least one full calendar month before the wedding ceremony

How soon can I get married?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

You will need to lodge a "Notice of Intended Marriage" (NOIM) with the Authorised Celebrant that you choose to perform your ceremony.  Under Australian law, you can marry one full calendar month after the Authorised Celebrant receives your completed NOIM.  You then have 18 months to complete your wedding ceremony before the NOIM expires.  If you live in Australia, you can fill out the NOIM with your Celebrant or you can fill out the NOIM by yourselves and have your signatures witnessed by a a JP, police officer, solicitor, or doctor.  Then you can email the NOIM to your Celebrant along with copies of your Passports or Birth Certificates.

If you live overseas, you can fill out the NOIM and have your signatures witnessed by a Notary Public or an Australian Consular/Diplomatic Officer. Then you can email the NOIM to your Celebrant along with copies of your Passports or Birth Certificates.

Once your Celebrant has received the NOIM, you are lodged with the Australian Government and you can be married one full calendar month later.


I am currently seeking a Divorce. Can I still lodge my Notice of Intended Marriage?

Del Edwards - Weddingdells

Yes.  A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) can be received by an Authorised Celebrant even though a party is, or both parties are, still married to another person at the date the NOIM is received.  When filling out the NOIM your status will read "married, divorce being sought, expected to be finalised (date)".  However, the marriage cannot be solemnised unless evidence of the divorce is given to the Authorised Celebrant prior to the marriage ceremony.

Why enquire through Easy Weddings?

Exclusive deals

Get the best deals for your wedding with Easy Weddings only discounts and special offers.

Wedding cash giveaway!

Simply let us know which Easy Weddings' suppliers you've booked. Once verified, you'll get entries into the draw for your chance to win!

Quick response

Your time is important. Get the information you need quickly. No fuss. No stress.