Pete the Celebrant

(57 reviews)
Service Area
Melbourne and surrounds, Yarra Valley and surrounds
Business Hours
Monday/Wednesdays 12 - 9pm
Thursdays 9am - 5pm
Saturdays 9am - 1pm
Click to show

Expert Advice

As a wedding professional, Pete the Celebrant offers expert advice to help couples plan their perfect day. Ask a question or read their expert advice.

conjugal status on marriage certificate?

Do both husband and wife have to mention their conjugal status (if one of them previously divorced) on their marriage certificate? Are there any options with the marriage certificates like can they choose any marriage certificate that does not require conjugal status details?

Pete the Celebrant

The conjugal status must be stated on the Notice of Intended Marriage and Marriage Certificates.

However you're given a Marriage Certificate with the Commonwealth Coat of Arms by your celebrant on the day and it will not have it on there.
I hope this helps!

Any advice on changing your religion to get married?

We want a celebrant to perform our wedding, as we both have different religions- but i was wondering on your thoughts around changing your religion for marriage? My partner wants me to but I am not sure about it. Any advice?

Pete the Celebrant

I think some key questions to ask yourself before deciding is:

  • How significant is my current religion to my identity?
  • Will this impact my wider life with family and society?
  • Would my partner still accept me if I did or didn’t change my religion?

Ones religion can be purely a personal affair, but is normally highly nuanced with many integrated aspects like family and community. Before you make the decision I believe you should think deeply and reflect about what would be gained and lost by the change.

I encourage you to reach out to close friends, family, a counsellor or significant other who you can trust to process this decision with.

All the best with this important choice.


Can I get married in a church if Im not religious?

Im worried about the weather so Im looking for an indoor ceremony venue. Theres a church right next door to my mum's house so I thought I might have it there. But Im not religious. Can I have a civil ceremony in a church??

Pete the Celebrant

Hey Annabel,

If you want the ceremony in a church yet you're not religious then that's fine! There are no legal reasons why you can't get married there by a civil celebrant.
You will need to check that the leader/pastor/priest of the church allow couples to marry there. I've done weddings in churches before and there wasn't a hassle, it was a great ceremony.

Have a wonderful ceremony!


Can I request my celebrant to wear a certain colour or outfit?

I've seen some awful clashing outfits and celebrants in white etc... is it rude to ask them to wear a particular colour or style? I don't know if I'm taking it way too far haha. But I want everything to look good! It is my wedding day, after all :)

Pete the Celebrant

Hey Keira,

Funny enough I just asked a bride that question 10 minutes ago.

I think it should be the celebrant who invites that question, however if they don't then of course you can tell them!
As you said, it's your wedding day! You've organised the theme for everything else, why wouldn't you want the celebrant to also fit in :)

Have a great ceremony!


I'm looking into booking a celebrant, but I don't understand the difference between ceremony types?

Some provide a "full personalised" ceremony, and others a basic package, what's the biggest difference there? I thought all ceremonies had to be pretty much the same, ie: "Do you ___ take ___ to be your lawfully wedded wife". Please explain how there's such a big difference in price and services? :)

Pete the Celebrant


Some celebrants offer different packages, others offer the same one price fits all...Best to ask the celebrant what they include in each if they don't already specify that. All celebrants must do the legal paperwork and many other legal requirements e.g. ensure that the ceremony can be heard by all those attending etc.

I recommend finding a celebrant who is going to write your ceremony specific to you as a couple and not a basic template that feels outdated and out of place. Ask them if their price is all inclusive of meetings, travel, PA system, the length of your ceremony.

Have a great ceremony!


I have an issue with someone posting pics of us before we do on social media...

How do we make it known to our guests?

Pete the Celebrant


That's a good question! An Unplugged Ceremony might be your answer.
At a few weddings now I've gently asked the audience on behalf of the couple that they don't want pictures or video during the ceremony, as the couple would rather see their friends and families faces instead of their phone. It's not a guarantee that everyone will comply with the couples wish; however everytime I do ask the crowd has always been willing to keep their phone in their pocket.
My advice, ask your closest friends and family to go along with what you want as it's your day. You can make a fun thing out of it depending on how you go about it. Some ways could be:

Gentle face to face conversations
Celebrant announces it at the start of the ceremony
Print it on the invites
Put signs up around your ceremony
Organise friends to go around before the Bride enters asking everyone privately to reinforce

Use wordings that bring out the best intentions of what you're after; 'intimate ceremony', 'unplugged' etc.
I wish you all the best!

Pete The Celebrant

Do celebrants come with marriage documents and how early can I file them after the wedding?

I was wondering if marriage celebrants usually come with their own marriage documents included in their package? Also, is there a timeframe of when I should file my marriage documents after the wedding? How early is too early/how long can I wait? Thanks!

Pete the Celebrant

Hi Cindy,

Great Question!!!

A celebrant will handle all of the legal documents for your wedding, it's one of the major roles a celebrant takes the responsibility of. They will guide you through the initial document Notice of Intended Marriage (minimum one month before the ceremony date, but no sooner than 18 months) and prepare/bring all the relevant documents on and for the ceremony. Once they have been signed on the day, the celebrant will send the documents to Births, Death and Marriages (BDM).
After a month (or so) has passed, BDM will have it in their system. Something important to remember is that the "pretty certificate" (not it's legal term, but mine :) legally named Marriage Certificate is yours to keep, take home and display proudly (if you're so inclined). However this "pretty certificate" is not usable for purposes of changing your name (if you seek to do so). You will need to go online and purchase that from BDM. I hope that's what you mean by 'file'. If not, I'm happy to help further.

All in all, your celebrant will handle all the paperwork while you provide the information and enjoy getting married.
Congratulations and have a fantastic ceremony!!!

-Pete The Celebrant
0421 760 023

Why enquire through Easy Weddings?

Exclusive deals

Get the best deals for your wedding with Easy Weddings only discounts and special offers.

Win a honeymoon on us!

Simply let us know which Easy Weddings' suppliers you've booked. Once verified, you'll get entries into the draw for your chance to win!
* Competition Excludes ACT

Quick response

Your time is important. Get the information you need quickly. No fuss. No stress.