The Celebrant Co

(15 reviews)
Service Area
Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Darling Downs
Business Hours
7 days
Click to show

Questions and Answers

What do we need to do to get married in Australia?

The Celebrant Co

To be legally married in Australia, a person must: 

  • not be married to someone else 
  • not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild or sibling 
  • be at least eighteen years old, unless a court has approved a marriage where one party is aged between sixteen and eighteen years old 
  • understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying 
  • use specific words during the ceremony 
  • give written notice of their intention to marry to their Marriage Celebrant, within the required time frame 

Is there paperwork involved?

The Celebrant Co

Yes, the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be received no earlier than 18 months and no later than 1 month before the date the marriage is solemnised.

What happens with the Marriage Certificates and other paperwork after the wedding ceremony?

The Celebrant Co

Births, Deaths and Marriages: 
The Certificate of Marriage with the Declaration Of No Legal Impediment on the reverse, together with Notice Of Intended Marriage (plus any other required documents) must be forwarded by the Marriage Celebrant to the BDM in the state or territory where the marriage was solemnised. This must occur within 14 days of the marriage.

The couple:
The couple is given a ceremonial Certificate of Marriage by the Marriage Celebrant after the wedding ceremony.

The Marriage Celebrant:
The Marriage Celebrant keeps one Certificate of Marriage for their records.

Do the couple need to do anything else after the wedding ceremony?

The Celebrant Co

Yes. The couple needs to apply for a Standard Marriage Certificate.

Only a Standard Marriage Certificate can be used for official purposes and proof of change of name through marriage. A Standard Marriage Certificate can be used when applying to government agencies and banks.Applications for a Standard Marriage Certificate can be made online directly through the state/territory BDM. Applications are made by the couple after the marriage has been solemnised and registered. Usually allow a few weeks for the marriage to be registered. Applications incur an additional cost as per the BDM, just check online for the most up to date details. In QLD, a Standard Marriage Certificate with registered post costs $54.70 (prices correct as of July 2019).

Do I have to change my name once we’re married?

The Celebrant Co

No. Many people choose to use their spouse’s family name once they are married—it’s a custom and not the law. If you were married in Australia, you generally don't need to apply formally for a change of name. Usually personal documentation, such as your driver licence and passport, can be changed to your married name when you provide a standard marriage certificate (Source: BDM QLD). Search or contact your state/territory BDM for more information.

How do we choose the right Marriage Celebrant?

The Celebrant Co

Trust your gut and choose someone that you click with. The right one will make you feel at ease and they will be more than happy to help whenever needed. If they seem off, contact someone else. Same goes for all the other wedding vendors too.

Are you happy to travel for weddings?

The Celebrant Co

Yes. While I am Brisbane based, I am happy to travel anywhere from Byron Bay to Toowoomba to Sunshine Coast!

Why is there such a variation in fees between Marriage Celebrants?

The Celebrant Co

Everyone needs/wants something different ranging from budget to premium options and that's why a variation exists. However, the old adage “You get what you pay for” usually rings true. Marriage Celebrant fees range from $200 - $1500. A wedding at the Brisbane Registry office alone ranges from $350-600.

I offer a premium and completely flexible service. I prefer an educational approach so couples understand what is actually involved creating and delivering a completely bespoke ceremony just for them. I spend on average 15-20 hours meeting with and working on each couples ceremony. I am also a legit business, which means I have to have been educated to become a Marriage Celebrant, pay annual registration fees, I am part of professional Associations and networks, I have to complete ongoing annual professional development, pay insurances, purchase and maintain equipment and service other overheads.

Got any pro tips?

The Celebrant Co

Yes! There’s so much I can share with you, but here’s the top 4:

  1. Be chill, you’ll enjoy the planning and the wedding day so much more.
  2. Do things your way.
  3. Once you’ve made a decision, stick to it. Unfollow all the socials you haven't locked in and focus on the awesome plan you've made.
  4. Trust your gut. You’ve got this!

This is what we're looking for! How do we meet up with you?

The Celebrant Co

Get in contact with me and we can tee up a coffee/beer to get to know each other and chat about your vision and plans. It’s ok if you don’t know exactly what you want just yet! We can run through a whole bunch of scenarios and ideas together.

Do the couple need to provide or complete any legal paperwork to get married?

The Celebrant Co


The Marriage Celebrant will provide:

Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

Declaration of No Legal Impediment to Marriage (DONLI)

Marriage Certificates x3

The couple will need to provide:

ID for the Marriage Celebrant to witness (evidence of date and place of birth, usually a Passport, or Birth Certificate + Driver's Licence)

Evidence of termination of any previous marriages if applicable (either by death, divorce or nullity).

Why enquire through Easy Weddings?

Exclusive deals

Get the best deals for your wedding with Easy Weddings only discounts and special offers.

Wedding cash giveaway!

Simply let us know which Easy Weddings' suppliers you've booked. Once verified, you'll get entries into the draw for your chance to win!

Quick response

Your time is important. Get the information you need quickly. No fuss. No stress.