My daughter is being married in 12 months time . Am I able to become competent in that time to perform her wedding?

Question Asked: 24/10/2023

Wedding Date: 9/08/2018

Most Helpful Response

Bec Johnson Celebrant

(5) · Far North Coast / Byron Bay / Lismore

Posted: 12/03/2024

Potentially! You do need to complete a Cerificate IV in Marriage Celebrancy, which depending who you study with, and how much time you have can be done relatively quickly. You do also need to factor in the time it takes to register; the Attorney General's office takes about 3 months to register you. However, without the Certificate IV you could absolutely still perform the ceremony and have a registered celebrant do the 'legal bits' before/after/during as well. 

Answered by: 13 Experts

Sort by:

Treasured Ceremonies

(16) · Byron Bay to Ballina , North Coast NSW and Gold Coast QLD

Posted: 11/01/2024

Yes you can become competant but would you not rather enjoy her wedding instead of putting yourself under stress ?
There is cost associated with becoming a celebrant and for a one off wedding it is probalby not worth it unless you intend to make a business out of it and continue to solemnise weddings.
There is paperwork and ceremony creation and you are starting from scratch. 
Would your duaghter want a newbie celebrant performing her wedding ?

Beswick Life Celebrations - Lesley Beswick

(4) · Ballarat, Daylesford, Ballan, Warrnambool, Bacchus Marsh, Geelong & Bellarine Peninsula

Posted: 15/12/2023

Yes. While the timeframe is "doable", a lot all depends on how much time and effort, and expense, you are willing to put in. However, what may hold you up is Government Registration, as this is the part that takes the longest.

Lindy Simpson Celebrant

(0) · Ballarat - Geelong, & Surrounding Areas

Posted: 28/11/2023

Hi, there is a company called Rose Training. They offer ongoing coursesin celebrancy.  On top of that it will take around three months to place your application to the AGD. If this doesn't work you could ask a celebrant to state the legals and you could conduct the other parts of the ceremony. Perhaps contact them. Best of luck. 

Josh Withers

(46) · Hobart & Tasmania

Posted: 7/11/2023

Firstly, congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding. It's wonderful that you wish to take on the role of marriage celebrant for her special day.

To become a marriage celebrant in Australia and perform legal marriage ceremonies, you will need to complete several steps, which include training, applying for registration, and meeting ongoing professional requirements as set out by the Attorney-General's Department.

Here is a general overview of the process:

1. Training: All applicants must complete the Certificate IV in Celebrancy (CHC41015) through a registered training organisation (RTO). This certificate includes units specifically on marriage celebrancy.

2. Application: Once you've completed the required training, you can apply to the Attorney-General's Department to become a Commonwealth-registered marriage celebrant.

3. Fit and Proper Person Test: As part of the application process, you must demonstrate that you are a fit and proper person to become a celebrant. This includes criminal history and other checks.

4. Ongoing Professional Development: If you become an authorised celebrant, you will need to undertake five hours of professional development each year to maintain your registration.

Timeframe: The key factor you need to consider is the time it takes to complete the Certificate IV in Celebrancy, which could take several months. After successfully completing your training, the application process for becoming a registered marriage celebrant can also take time. The Attorney-General's Department states that applications can take up to three months to be processed.

Given these steps and depending on various factors such as the availability of training programs, your study pace, and processing times for your application, it might be challenging to complete everything within 12 months. However, it could be feasible if you begin the process immediately and if all elements align in a timely manner.

You can find detailed information on becoming a marriage celebrant on the Attorney-General's Department website. It is recommended to commence the process as early as possible to accommodate any unforeseen delays.

Keep in mind that the role of a marriage celebrant is not only a ceremonial one but also carries legal responsibilities. Ensure you are well-informed about these duties and comfortable in fulfilling them for your daughter's wedding.

Good luck with the process, and I hope that you will be able to enjoy this special occasion with your daughter.

Iain Luck Celebrant Services

(21) · Melbourne, Dandenong Ranges, Lakes Entrance/Gippsland, Mornington Peninsula

Posted: 31/10/2023

You can complete your Certificate IV in Celebrancy within 12 months if you are prepared to work consistently hard at it. However, once you have successfully completed the Certificate, you then have to apply for Registration with the Attorney General's Department ~ plenty of paperwork to be completed and references to be obtained. That might take a few weeks or more (from memory). You can always employ Celebrant to do the 'legals' while you do the rest. Good luck.

Tim Kelly - Marriage Celebrant | Cairns Tropical Marriages

(42) · Cairns, Port Douglas, Mission Beach and the Tablelands but I am prepared to travel nationally

Posted: 31/10/2023

Hi there Bride (or, rather, mother of).

I've read replies from other Celebrants and they cast quite a dark, pessimistic shadow over the whole affair.

The answer is yes, honey. It is definitely do-able. Either in a class room or, like me, online, because there were no physical courses in my region. Took me 7 months, whilst working part-time and experiencing some pretty heavy personal trauma. I'm neurodivergent, hun (ADHD if we must use labels??), and if I did it, well....

Approach any local Celebrants and see if they require witnesses from time to time. I often get couples who elope without anyone to witness, and that is the perfect way to see a ceremony that is about love and commitment and not about bling.

I hope this helps. It will be such a special day for your daughter if you do it, and you can carry on doing it afterwards. It's a lovely excuse to get out of the house on a sunny Saturday afternoon to, literally, be surrounded by nothing but love and laughter. It's also a fun way to put a little extra in the bank for rainy days and holidays and create beautiful memories for people while you do it

Martin Ormond Celebrant

(0) · Melbourne and Mornington Peninsula

Posted: 31/10/2023

If you take a look at the Attorney-General's Department website it describes the process you need to go through to become an authorised marriage celebrant. Depending on how you feel about that, you may choose to consider the other option to co-present the wedding ceremony with an authorised celebrant who will be responsible for the essential legal elements. You can then perform the other parts of the ceremony. Best of luck with your choice. Martin.

Lee Halligan - Celebrant

(15) · Perth & Surrounding Areas (Other Areas By Arrangement)

Posted: 31/10/2023

It is possible.  However it will require time and effort by yourself and of course funds for training and registrations.

another option would be for your daughter to engage a Celebrant that is will to allow you to be part of the ceremony and they will complete the legal parts.

In the lead up to your daughters wedding you may want time to help out with preparations and spend quality time with your daughter rather than worry about completing the course.  However the simple answer is YES

Congratulations to you and your dauther

Lee Halligan Celebrant

BeeTogether Celebrant

(7) · Illawarra, South Coast, Southern Highlands & Surrounds

Posted: 31/10/2023

Yes you can. Keep in mind it can take several months to complete if you are working. One friend completed hers in a 6 intense weeks and worked everyday to complete the course work. Then allow the Registration processing time with AG dept. May I suggest a more cost effective way would be to hire a Celebrant to do the legal component of the ceremony and you perform the rest. The planning process with your daughter offers a chance to plan together a beautiful ceremony without you feeling pressured to complete your qualification under pressure. Best wishes x 

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask your own question and we'll have our experts answer it.

Ask a question