Paul Cochran - Melbourne Marriage Celebrant

(9 reviews)
Service Area
Statewide Victoria, Geelong, Melbourne, Daylesford, Yarra Valley, Dandenong Ranges, Mornington Penin
Business Hours
By Appointment - 7 Days
Click to show

Questions and Answers

question has been submitted to Easy Weddings for review.

Something went wrong, please try again soon.

What are our first steps?

  1. Most quality Celebrants are busy, so please book me as soon as you have decided on your date, time and venue.
  2. Organise an appointment with me to commence planning the ceremony.
  3. Your Notice of Intended Marriage' (NOIM) needs to be completed no less than one calendar month and one day prior to marriage but it is strongly advisable to complete this with me as soon as you have decided on the date and time for your ceremony. I will supply you with a copy to complete upon confirmation of your booking or you can go on-line to download a copy.

What do I need to Provide?

You are required by law to fill out a ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ (NOIM) form which must be received by your marriage celebrant no later than one calendar month and one day prior to your marriage date.

You will need your birth certificates (originals) and evidence that any prior marriage has been dissolved by either death or divorce. If either of you have been divorced or widowed you will need to show your celebrant the original Divorce/Death certificates. For divorce, a copy of the Decree Absolute can be obtained from the Family Law Court in the State where the Marriage was dissolved. (please note - this only apples to Marriages dissolved after 1975). For Marriages dissolved prior to 1975, a copy of the Decree Absolute can be obtained from the Supreme Court in the State where the Marriage was dissolved.

Also provide your Deed Poll/Certificate of Name Change, if your name has been changed other than by previous marriage. Photocopies are not acceptable and if any of your certificates are not available, you should contact the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for advice.

You can download the NOIM from the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, complete it exactly as instructed on the document and bring it with you to our meeting, together with the above documentation.

Names must be exactly as documented on your Birth Certificates. If you would rather me help you fill out the (NOIM) I can provide one for you at our meeting and we can fill it out together, you will still need to bring the same documentation as above.

Where can we get married?

There are many beautiful and romantic wedding locations you can get married in. Parks, Botanical Gardens, Historic Trust homes, bush settings, universities campuses, even your own backyard. Some public parks and gardens require a fee for usage but many are free, although a booking through the local council or Parks Victoria is often necessary. I can advise you and assist with your booking requirements for your ceremony location. 

If you prefer an intimate marriage ceremony you may choose a hotel or restaurant venue, or perhaps on a beach for a sunset wedding.

Can we choose spiritual or religious wording and readings for our ceremony?

Certainly. You are welcome to include any wording you feel reflects your beliefs or way of life.

What does the Celebrant do?

  • Attends to all the legal paperwork.
  • Assists you to create a ceremony to suit your needs
  • Conducts a rehearsal if requested
  • Marries you in accordance with Australian law (called solemnizing a marriage)
  • Provides advice on other wedding arrangements and services as requested
  • Maintains professional standards through membership of a professional association and participation in mandatory training and professional development each year

Do I need a “Plan B” in case of inclement weather?

Yes, definitely. If you are having an outdoor wedding, it is advisable to have an alternative indoor venue in case of inclement weather i.e. wind, extreme heat, rain – all valid reasons to move inside. Planning in advance takes away the stress and confusion on the day should we need to move venues at the last minute.

Note: Should your wedding be late in the day, determine the sunset time to ensure sufficient light for document signing and photography. 

What happens in the event that we have to postpone our wedding?

The Notice of Intended Marriage is valid for 18 months, I am only too happy to reschedule the wedding with you.

Who can I have as my witnesses?

Anyone you like providing they are over the age of 18 years. They may be from overseas.

How long will the Ceremony take?

The average time is 20 – 30  minutes but this may vary depending on how many readings/poems etc. you include.

What happens after the Ceremony - do you stay for the reception?

No I will leave soon after the ceremony, quietly and discreetly, occasionally staying for a celebratory drink.

Why enquire through Easy Weddings?

Exclusive deals

Get the best deals for your wedding with Easy Weddings only discounts and special offers.

Win a honeymoon on us!

Simply let us know which Easy Weddings' suppliers you've booked. Once verified, you'll get entries into the draw for your chance to win!
* Competition Excludes ACT

Quick response

Your time is important. Get the information you need quickly. No fuss. No stress.