Tied By Teila - Civil Marriage Celebrant

(1 review)
Service Area
Mount Gambier / Adelaide  View Map
Business Hours
7 days by appoitment
Click to show

Questions and Answers

What are the legal requirements to be married in Australia?

Tied By Teila - Civil Marriage Celebrant

With the exception of Section 12 from The Marriage Act 1961, both parties must be at least 18 years of age. Two witnesses are required to sign marriage documents during the ceremony and must be over 18 years of age. A Notice of Intended Marriage form must be lodged with your celebrant no less than one month and no earlier than 18 months before your wedding date. You must not be too closely related eg; father and daughter relationship.

So you are ready to book your Celebrant, What's next?

Tied By Teila - Civil Marriage Celebrant

1. We chat for the first time to ensure I am available on your wedding date and schedule a time to meet. 


2. We meet and have coffee (or wine) and complete a booking form and a Notice of Intended Marriage form (NOIM). The NOIM needs to be lodged at least one month, and not more than eighteen months, before the marriage takes place.


3. We start designing your perfect ceremony, I will email you a 'Couples Questionnaire' to help me create a ceremony that reflects your love story. This is optional depending on the ceremony you are wanting. 


4. You receive a first draft of your ceremony, at least 2 weeks prior to your wedding, 

5. A final draft is emailed with any changes requested at least 1 week prior to your wedding date.

6. We arrange a rehearsal or final meeting to sign a Declaration of No Legal Impediment to Marriage and step through your wedding ceremony to ensure everything runs smoothly on the big day!

7. The big day arrives and you get married!

8. All legal documentation will be completed and lodged to Birth Deaths and Marriages within 14.

How long does the ceremony go for?

Tied By Teila - Civil Marriage Celebrant

This is entirely up to you, there is no legal requirements in relation to a minimum or maximum length. Most civil marriage ceremonies generally are 10-15 minutes with an extra 5-7 minutes for the signing of the register and certificates. Your ceremony may be shorter or longer depending on what you would like to include but generally, allowing 30 minutes from start to finish is a good guide.

Where do I begin with planning my ceremony and writing vows?

Tied By Teila - Civil Marriage Celebrant

I have an extensive library of example ceremonies, poems and readings. Upon booking I will email you a ceremony building document that steps you through all the elements and of course I would absolutely love to sit with you and help you personalise your ceremony and vows.

What happens if I have been married before?

Tied By Teila - Civil Marriage Celebrant

If you have been married previously, you must provide evidence of divorce or a Death Certificate of your previous spouse.

Do I need to pay a deposit to secure my booking?

Tied By Teila - Civil Marriage Celebrant

Yes a $200 deposit is required to secure your booking, the remainder of the money must be paid as per the terms on your invoice.

What documents and proof of identity do I need?

Tied By Teila - Civil Marriage Celebrant

- If you were born in Australia, you must provide an official birth certificate or an official extract from an official register (ie, not a copy. You can obtain an official birth certificate from the Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State or Territory in which you were born.


- If you were born overseas, you must produce a valid passport or birth certificate issued by the government of an overseas country, showing the date and place of your birth.

- It is also advisable that you both bring along another form of identification, and the most suitable form of photo ID is your current driver’s licence.

- If either of you has been married before, I will need to see evidence of how your most recent marriage ended. If you are a widow or widower, an original or certified copy of the Death Certificate of your spouse must be presented. In the case of divorce, I must see the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce of your most recent marriage.

It is important to understand under Australian law, I am not permitted to perform your marriage until I have sighted your original documents. In the event you are unable to obtain any of the required documentation we will proceed with a commitment ceremony only. 

Why enquire through Easy Weddings?

Exclusive deals

Get the best deals for your wedding with Easy Weddings only discounts and special offers.

Wedding cash giveaway!

Simply let us know which Easy Weddings' suppliers you've booked. Once verified, you'll get entries into the draw for your chance to win!

Quick response

Your time is important. Get the information you need quickly. No fuss. No stress.