The Easy Weddings Forums have now been retired to make way for a brand new discussions area!

Over the years the Easy Weddings forum has been a great place to ask questions, post stories and meet other brides (and grooms).

Unfortunately as our community has grown - the forum has no longer been able to give YOU, the best possible experience on our site.

SO - we've decided to retire the current forums to make way for a simpler, easier and more fun community experience! It's now easier than ever to start a conversation, contribute back to the community with helpful answers or just share your wedding journey with others.

Best of all, the new discussions area uses your existing Easy Weddings account to sign in!

Visit the new Discussions Section

P.S. To all our existing forum users - please note that you will no longer be able to login, post or reply to any topics in the old forum. We encourage you to visit the new discussion section instead. We don't plan on removing any of the old content so you can still dig up any old conversations you may have once had :)

Chat to other parent's about Stages of Development; Eating; Sleeping; Temper Tantrums;

6 posts Page 1 of 1

Postby missm03 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:19 pm

So this may seem a bit of an odd questions but I am just interested in other people's opinions.

We have 2 little boys (if you didn't already know) and currently they are 3 and 16 months......

Most nights they come in the shower with me as it is just easier to do us all in one go.

Lately my 3 year old has started asking questions about anatomy (or my lack of anyway) and I am wandering if it may be time that they stop seeing mummy without clothes on.

I cannot remember EVER seeing my Dad in the nutty but am pretty sure I saw Mum all the time...but us both being girls it wasn't an issue...

ANY advice is welcome as this is one thing I am not so sure what 'the right thing' is to there even a right thing with this??

Proud to be Rebecca08's Belly Buddy
Postby sweetime » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:23 pm

I stopped getting changed in front of my stepson when he got old enough to start asking about body parts. (He was about 4). You might feel differently about it because he's actually your child, but for me what you're talking about was my cut off point. I have a friend with a roughly 3 year old boy doing the same thing (asking about anatomy) and she and I talked about exactly the same thing, and she came to the same conclusion; that when they can ask about it is a good time to stop being naked in front of them.

Man I hope that paragraph made sense!
Postby missm03 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Nope made perfect sense. Thank you.

See FH doesn't really think it is a big problem...but he is one of them!

Postby kylo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:47 pm

I remember seeing my parents nude (walking from bedroom to shower and back again down the hallway) right up to the end of primary school .. maybe longer, I may have blocked it out!
Anyway, obviously nudity has never been an issue for my family and my boys (4.5 and 3yo) quite often come into the bathroom while I'm showering .. they play in the bathroom or stand there chatting to me
I feel quite comfortable about this .. and we've always talked about our private parts being private, and we give each other privacy when its asked for (they'll say "give me some peace and privacy, Mummy" when they go into the toilet, or I'll say "I just need a minute of privacy please") so I feel like we have a good balance between curiosity and privacy going at the moment
They ask questions about boobs and goolies and about how babies get into and out of bellies, and what I need boobs for now that there's no baby .. I give them answers as simply as I can and with only as much detail as they need .. if they get confused they ask more questions and I keep answering .. and by giving answers simply, I mean VERY simple like 'the doctor helps get the baby out when its ready' and 'your goolies help you make babies when you're as big as daddy' .. I'm not discussing the ins and outs of conception or sex or childbirth with pre-schoolers
I guess at some point there'll be awkwardness on my part or theirs .. and then things will change .. we haven't reached that yet and I don't necessarily think that just asking questions is the cut off .. little kids are naturally curious and if you shut the door and make it all more mysterious that might be more confusing than helpful .. I don't know if that helps or not and I don't know if that's the right answer or if there even is a right answer .. that's my :twocents-02cents: anyway!
** Together since 2002, sons born November 2007 and July 2009, finally married 2012 after 10 years **
Postby missm03 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey Kylo!

Thanks for your reply. I think I will just keep doing what we are doing but introduce what you do RE privacy so they can learn that there times when it is OK for them to be private and times for mummy to be private.

Postby lauralou » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:52 pm

kylo- your approach sounds awesome to me! Filing that away in the memory banks for future reference!
6 posts Page 1 of 1