The Easy Weddings Forums have now been retired to make way for a brand new discussions area!

Over the years the Easy Weddings forum has been a great place to ask questions, post stories and meet other brides (and grooms).

Unfortunately as our community has grown - the forum has no longer been able to give YOU, the best possible experience on our site.

SO - we've decided to retire the current forums to make way for a simpler, easier and more fun community experience! It's now easier than ever to start a conversation, contribute back to the community with helpful answers or just share your wedding journey with others.

Best of all, the new discussions area uses your existing Easy Weddings account to sign in!

Visit the new Discussions Section

P.S. To all our existing forum users - please note that you will no longer be able to login, post or reply to any topics in the old forum. We encourage you to visit the new discussion section instead. We don't plan on removing any of the old content so you can still dig up any old conversations you may have once had :)

Chat to other parent's about Stages of Development; Eating; Sleeping; Temper Tantrums;

10 posts Page 1 of 1

Postby rebecca08 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:56 am

Hi there

I'm pregnant at the moment with our first child and was approached with the question the other day of whether we are going to have her (its a girl) christened or baptised. It had never occurred to me before. I was never christened or anything and was raised Christian went to church as a kid but then my family stopped quite early on and aren't very strict I guess. They do believe though. I'm more agnostic now. My DH is an atheist. Considering these things we don't think it's necessary or appropriate to christen or baptise our child. We are considering a naming ceremony instead - I only just heard of these..

has anyone had a naming ceremony for their baby? How old do you think they should be when they have this?

If anyone has any idea please post

Thanks in advance!

Rebecca xx
Engaged 5/3/11
Married 18/3/12 - Outdoor ceremony & cocktail reception
Mum to DD born 16/10/12
Postby Comet1998 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:25 pm

I had a naming ceremony for my daughter (who is almost 10 now) at 10 months old.

It was a really nice way to welcome her to the world and officially introduce her to everyone. I like naming ceremonies. They are a celebration of the birth of your child without all the religious stuff.
Married the man of my dreams on 24th March 2012

My Show & Tell: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34440
My Big Day Thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36324
Postby rinche » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm

i have been to a naming ceremony where the parents decided to christen thier child about a year or so later (and i was godmother).

i think its a great way of celebrating the baby and not having anything 'formal'
A blog about me, my life and a crazy thing called wedding planning

My S&T

Postby kylo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:38 pm

My brother & his girlfriend had a combined 1st birthday/naming day for my niece & it was lovely
They chose 8 people who will act as mentors for her & we (I'm one of them) all lit a candle from hers & got to keep our candles
The celebrant was really friendly & nice & everyone felt really special to be invited to witness it..although TBH I was kind of rolling my eyes beforehand & wondering what the point was
** Together since 2002, sons born November 2007 and July 2009, finally married 2012 after 10 years **
Postby missm03 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Well this is a hot topic in our house at the moment.....

Both FH and I have been christened and come from Catholic families. My mum still attends church every weekend. My Dad does not. I did until about 16 and then stopped going but I do still have the same beliefs. FH stopped going at a younger age and is now questioning his beliefs after his mum died 6 years ago. None of FH family attend church.

FFIL freaked out when we didn't get DS#1 Christened as he believes that if unchristened children die they will not be accepted into heaven - this caused a huge fight between FH and FFIl and every time the topic is brought up they start fighting again.

We were planning to get DS#1 christened until the fight and then I found out I was pregnant so thought it would be nice to have a naming ceremony together......then FFIL blew up about that as well and now the boys are 3 and a half and 15 months and we are still waiting.....

Personally I would love to have a naming ceremony over a christening....It is a nice way to welcome the new baby and just as special as a christening IMO.

Proud to be Rebecca08's Belly Buddy
Postby seaweed » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:55 am

As you both are not religious, you are right about a baptism (christening) being inappropriate. A naming ceremony is so lovely and means the same to the people who love you all. It is pretty much the older generation of Catholics that hold onto the old beliefs. A naming ceremony will mean more to you and be such a joyous occasion for everyone, that I reckon that this should be the plan.
Postby mrskc » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 am

We had a naming ceremony for DD when she was 6 months old. I kept meaning to do it earlier but it just didn't work out. I think for subsequent children we will either do it before 3 months or combine it with the 1st birthday. DD was just at that age where she was impatient because she wanted to be on the move but hadn't worked it out yet so she was quite frustrated all day that people wanted to hold her when she just wanted to roll around.

We did plan on baptising her but had a nasty experience when booking it in so decided to get my great-auntie to perform a naming ceremony instead. She was also our celebrant for our wedding so it was nice to have that link. It was really great, nice and quick and we got to name godparents, which was really all we wanted out of the baptism anyway.

Proud to be BlushinB's belly buddy Due July 2012 - It's a boy! Welcome Noah Ethan!

Super excited to be Arashell129's belly buddy Due January 2013 - It's a boy! Welcome Wyatt Christopher!
Postby lauralou » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:44 pm

kylo wrote:They chose 8 people who will act as mentors for her & we (I'm one of them) all lit a candle from hers & got to keep our candles

I really like that. I like the idea of choosing people important to you to have a special role in your child's life, but have always been uncomfortable with the term "godparent" because of the religious connotations.

Filing that away in the memory banks for future use :lol:
Postby kylo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Although TBH I think 8 is too many..I'd personally choose 2 or 3 or 4 (max)..although I'm so proud to have been asked & I take my role seriously it feels less special for me to share the mentor role with 7 others than it would if there were fewer of us
And I almost wonder if there's too many choices for my niece in having to chose which of 8 people to turn to for help/advice if needed
** Together since 2002, sons born November 2007 and July 2009, finally married 2012 after 10 years **
Postby MrsR2012 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I had a naming ceremony for ME when i was little. I was roughly 6 months old and being nearly 25 yrs ago, My parents had a barbeque and a party with friends and family. It was pretty much a big meet and greet the baby day :)

I even have a VHS recording of my day :)

I am not religious so my children wont be being christened etc. Personal choice. Its completely up to you :)

10 posts Page 1 of 1