The Easy Weddings Forums have now been retired to make way for a brand new discussions area!

Over the years the Easy Weddings forum has been a great place to ask questions, post stories and meet other brides (and grooms).

Unfortunately as our community has grown - the forum has no longer been able to give YOU, the best possible experience on our site.

SO - we've decided to retire the current forums to make way for a simpler, easier and more fun community experience! It's now easier than ever to start a conversation, contribute back to the community with helpful answers or just share your wedding journey with others.

Best of all, the new discussions area uses your existing Easy Weddings account to sign in!

Visit the new Discussions Section

P.S. To all our existing forum users - please note that you will no longer be able to login, post or reply to any topics in the old forum. We encourage you to visit the new discussion section instead. We don't plan on removing any of the old content so you can still dig up any old conversations you may have once had :)

Chat to other parent's about Stages of Development; Eating; Sleeping; Temper Tantrums;

13 posts Page 1 of 2 1, 2

Postby sweetime » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 am

My 4(almost 5)yo stepson has a cold. He's quite clearly in need of some sort of pain relief (pale, coughing, not sleeping well, slight temperature, etc etc) but has a really poor track record of actually taking panadol.

Anyone got any good tricks for getting it in him? It's in liquid form.

I've tried telling him it's a magic drink to make him feel all better and bribing him with various things, but he's quite lethargic yet determined to not take it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (the next question will be about convincing him he has the energy to have a drink, he's currently not into that one either)
Postby sweetime » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 am

I was going to try slipping it in his drink (though I suspect that the taste of the panadol will come through the drink) but right now he's refusing to drink anything, which is just adding to the complication! :lol:

I'll cross my fingers he wakes up in a more receptive mood.
Postby sweetime » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 am

His comprehension isn't quite at that point yet (for the threats to work). Bribery has only recently started working. Alas, it's too late to get flavourless panadol, but I will give the mixing it a go. I think the flavour is orange, if only we had some fanta or lemonade...

He was quite open to the idea of having a magic drink to make him feel better until he saw the little medicine cup and realised it was medicine.
Postby missm03 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:30 am

Our eldest son (3) was TERRIBLE with taking medicine. We tried putting it in everything but he could taste it straight away so it never worked.

I am also not really one for rewarding with sugary treats etc but FH told him if he had his medicine he could have chocolate and wouldn't you know it medicine in and 'where's my chocolate?' straight after :roll:

Since he gets ear infections a lot and has to have antibiotics he has got really good with taking it and THANK GOD no more chocolate rewards!

SO could you try offering something you know he will want and see if that works?

Proud to be Rebecca08's Belly Buddy
Postby sweetime » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:34 am

Hmm we might have some chocolate stashed somewhere.

I tried offering other sorts of rewards, like he can watch angry birds on youtube (he's only allowed to do this while he eats his dinner - unfortunately medicine's not the only thing we have trouble getting him to have!) but he just lay pathetically on the couch and told me he was lying down.

Thanks for the tips - keep 'em coming. Surely one of them has to work :lol: :lol:
Postby missm03 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:42 am

naww I hate when they are sick like that...both mine are sick too - not with temps though, the tummy bug kind of sick so aren't eating either. They are drinking heaps of water though so I am happy with that.

Hopefully you can get him to have something. I don't know what else to suggest!

Postby sweetime » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:17 pm

I've managed to get him to have a little bit of panadol mixed in with coke by bribing him with chocolate! :lol:

Hopefully the small amount he's had starts to make him feel a bit better and he can have some more - how much panadol do you need for it to start being effective do you think...?
Postby missm03 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 pm

:text-woo: At least he got a little bit in!! I'm not sure how much they need for it to work. Obviously the more they have the better it works but I am sure a little bit will start to make him feel a bit better.

Hope you can get more in!

Postby sweetime » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:37 pm

He ended up drinking the rest of the panadol and has just slept for another hour or so.
He's marginally better than he was (he's trying to play games with me, rather than just lying there listlessly), but I'm still having trouble getting him to drink anything (sips of water here and there) and there's no way I'm getting food in him.

Looks like the panadol wasn't as successful as I'd hoped and now I feel mean for basically forcing it on him :lol:
Postby Nov09_B2B » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Syringe or medicine dropper! Hold him still and squirt it in his mouth, he will swallow it and will get over it very quickly.
13 posts Page 1 of 2 1, 2