The Easy Weddings Forums have now been retired to make way for a brand new discussions area!

Over the years the Easy Weddings forum has been a great place to ask questions, post stories and meet other brides (and grooms).

Unfortunately as our community has grown - the forum has no longer been able to give YOU, the best possible experience on our site.

SO - we've decided to retire the current forums to make way for a simpler, easier and more fun community experience! It's now easier than ever to start a conversation, contribute back to the community with helpful answers or just share your wedding journey with others.

Best of all, the new discussions area uses your existing Easy Weddings account to sign in!

Visit the new Discussions Section

P.S. To all our existing forum users - please note that you will no longer be able to login, post or reply to any topics in the old forum. We encourage you to visit the new discussion section instead. We don't plan on removing any of the old content so you can still dig up any old conversations you may have once had :)

Chat to other parent's about Stages of Development; Eating; Sleeping; Temper Tantrums;

9 posts Page 1 of 1

Postby Krys » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 am

Hey ladies, I'm just wondering how do I feed Ebm while out when I'm unable to heat it up? Do I put it in a bottle bag already warm or do I feed it cold? Or do I take hot water in a thermis? We've got a few events coming up and I want to be able to have a bottle for in the car/church etc. Thanks in advance :flwr:
Postby mrskc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 am

Grace hasn't had EBM since she was a week old but the midwives told me to always warm it up. Now that she's on formula we take a thermos with us when we go out and heat it up that way. I have been told by some people (who aren't even parents!) that I'm stupid for warming it up but it makes it easier for her to drink it (it's really thick and gluggy when cold) and the warm formula actually helps her to go to sleep.

I think it's completely up to you and what you're comfortable with doing, we weren't comfortable feeding her cold formula but other people are fine with it.

Proud to be BlushinB's belly buddy Due July 2012 - It's a boy! Welcome Noah Ethan!

Super excited to be Arashell129's belly buddy Due January 2013 - It's a boy! Welcome Wyatt Christopher!
Postby Nov09_B2B » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:42 pm

I was told that both formula and EBM should be given at room temperature. When he was little, Coen always liked his bottles a little bit warm though (warm milk helps you sleep right?). I wouldn't heat it up before you go - it may be too warm or have cooled too much by the time you want to use it. They also say you should throw milk out within an hour of it being heated up.

If you want to give it him warm, I would be inclined to take a thermos of warm water out with you.
Postby missm03 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Nov09_B2B wrote:If you want to give it him warm, I would be inclined to take a thermos of warm water out with you.

This is what I was told to do by the lactation consultants in the Mater Hospital when DS#1 was in there for 8 weeks. BUT after he came from hospital I stopped expressing as I had a freezer FULL of milk! And that milk lasted until he was 5 months old. Then I just gave him formula if I didn't feed him myself, which now I think about it I mostly did as it was easier than worrying about bottles and formula and finding water to heat with if I didn't have any...

Proud to be Rebecca08's Belly Buddy
Postby BrisbaneBride2B » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:52 pm

some info here on storing ebm which will help with what to do or not to do when taking ebm out etc ... breastmilk
Postby Loz_Adsy's_girl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 pm

I'd be inclined to give it to him cold, but he may not take it that way.

There are also these nifty bottle warmers I saw at the baby expo that don't need power or anything to heat up - they're activated by breaking a chemical spot that reacts with other chemicals. It wraps around a bottle like a stubbie cooler.

These are the ones I've seen... ... tle-warmer
9 posts Page 1 of 1