The Easy Weddings Forums have now been retired to make way for a brand new discussions area!

Over the years the Easy Weddings forum has been a great place to ask questions, post stories and meet other brides (and grooms).

Unfortunately as our community has grown - the forum has no longer been able to give YOU, the best possible experience on our site.

SO - we've decided to retire the current forums to make way for a simpler, easier and more fun community experience! It's now easier than ever to start a conversation, contribute back to the community with helpful answers or just share your wedding journey with others.

Best of all, the new discussions area uses your existing Easy Weddings account to sign in!

Visit the new Discussions Section

P.S. To all our existing forum users - please note that you will no longer be able to login, post or reply to any topics in the old forum. We encourage you to visit the new discussion section instead. We don't plan on removing any of the old content so you can still dig up any old conversations you may have once had :)

Where are you going for your Honeymoon?

22 posts Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3

Postby Ellie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:16 pm

While International destinations are still very popular for honeymoons, Interstate and Local honeymoons are also becoming increasingly popular.

Share your tips on how to choose a honeymoon destination:

How did / will you narrow down your options?
What activities (Leisure, romance etc.) are important if any?
Do did you arrange the honeymoon – did you use a travel agent or use the internet to book yourself?
ImageImage
Postby Mizzle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 pm

We were actually struggling to decide so we went to a travel expo...there is usually a big one in most capital cities once or twice a year. They have some great deals there and you get to collect lots of brochures and talk to lots of people all in one place (kind of like a bridal expo, I suppose!). We came across the stall for Borneo and something just clicked, so that's where we went!

We wanted a fairly interesting and active trip...we wanted to combine a few days of lounging by the pool at a resort with getting out there and seeing new things. Borneo fit well...we did a few days of luxury at the start and end at the Shangri La and then did an adventure tour in the middle where we visited orangutans, went out in the jungle and did some island trips.

Do did you arrange the honeymoon – did you use a travel agent or use the internet to book yourself?
We booked through a travel agent, as there is not much out there on the internet about Borneo and you couldn't just buy what we wanted to do as a package. We now have the contact with the suppliers, though, and next time we go we'll book it directly with the hotels and tour providers ourselves to save money.
Postby noni-b » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:28 am

We decided pretty much straight away that we wanted to go to the Gold Coast. We had always talked about going there and our honeymoon was the perfect opportunity.

I think it's important to get out and see the sites you wanted to see plus just having time to enjoy being newlyweds. We incorporated going to all the theme parks plus relaxing time.

How did you arrange the honeymoon – did you use a travel agent or use the internet to book yourself?
We had a honeymoon registry set up for guests to put money into. So we organised it through a travel agent. They were very helpful and organised pretty much everything.
*Married 7th February 2009*

EW Real Weddings page http://www.easyweddings.com.au/real_weddings/realweddings.asp?real_wedding=77

ImageImage
Postby bride_2_b » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Time of year was a very important factor. We decided to get married in October as it is off-peak season in a lot of destinations. We picked Europe for our Honeymoon because FH and I have been wanting to go together for a long time and we think it will be more special and memorable to go there for our honeymoon.

I think budget is another important aspect to take into consideration when deciding on your honeymoon destination. We decided that they honeymoon was more important to us than the actual wedding reception so we have cut down our guest list and gone for our 2nd choice in reception venues to give us extra funds for the honeymoon.

I also think its important to see the sights & do some activities that we wont be able to do in Australia, but I also think having some romantic time with your partner is important. FH and I have decided to add 5 days in Morocco to our honeymoon to give us the opportunity to stay in a really nice resort, to relax after 4 weeks of hopping around Europe, spend some time together & just take in the sun and atmosphere.

How did you arrange the honeymoon – did you use a travel agent or use the internet to book yourself?
We found travel websites to be the most helpful. I've been to see a travel agent to get an idea of how much time we need in each place & what we should do while we are there - but we are looking at organising most of it ourselves. I have also found that doing some research on the net pays off, as I have been able to find cheaper flights and accommodation than what was quoted by travel agents.
Postby accidentalbride » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:58 pm

HOw will you/did you narrow down your options?
We decided to go to a place that neither of us had been to as we are both fairly extensive travellers. Japan seemed like a good non-dodgy choice that was close to home.

What activities?
We have picked several each from the guidebooks that we wanted to do (sightseeing and things like disneyland) and planned them around our itinerary so that we have one activity each day, giving us lots of time for other honeymoon stuff!

How did you arrange the honeymoon?
Booked almost everything online ourselves. Consulted travel guidebook fairly heavily (lonely planet). Spoke to friends and family that had travelled to Japan before. Went to a travel expo and got 1/2 price airfares. Having a honeymoon registry so will will cover alot of it.
1 bride, 1 groom, 4 parents, 8 siblings, 42 relatives and 40 friends....
Postby pinkvanilla » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:23 pm

I think our budget did that for us :D There are lots of places we wanted to go, but we figured out what we could afford. Also, time of year was important. It was going to be early December so we figured it was perfect time to go somewhere nice and sunny - and Port Douglas came up in searching for hotels.

I wanted a nice relaxing honeymoon, with just a few activities to keep me going; I think hubby was the same. Anywhere I go I like to go see animals so that was important, and DH wanted to go snorkling as he hadn't done that before.

We arranged it ourselves. We waited until very cheap flights came up, and called up the hotel to book. We booked all our activities when we got up there.
Postby Uptownerd » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:29 pm

We didn't - we went all out and went everywhere we wanted to because it was our honeymoon! We wanted to go around the world, so we did :D Japan, England, Scotland and USA. We figured that if we were going to do it, we were going to do i properly.

Seeing all the big sites and going on lots of day trips. It was all about adventure, not about the romance :P (although we did have a few days couped up in Vegas).

We used a travel agent to book the flights because there were so many, with so many connections. I booked all the accommodation, day trips, entry tickets, itinerary myself (I am very organised).
Married 09/05/09
Postby Aurin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Overseas was out of the question pretty quickly for us - FH doesn't have a passport. We're also going on a two-week holiday in March 2010 in Queensland, nine months before the wedding, so we wanted to keep the cost down for the honeymoon as well. We were going to go around Tasmania by car, but then FH suggested Anglesea on the Great Ocean Road - we have been there before with friends, staying in a beach house that friends of my parents' own, and it would cost considerably less than a trip to Tasmania.

FH wants to do some activities like hikes near Lorne and driving out on day trips to the 12 Apostles and so forth, but I don't intend to do much at all other than go to the beach and hide inside the house :wink:

We did neither - one phone call to the friends of my parents sorted it out: the friends have offered the house to us for free for the whole time we'll be there of ten nights as wedding present, and apparently they're going down a couple of days before to set up the house with flowers and champagne and so forth. It'll be a lovely little getaway!
LJ
- - -
Started Dating - September 2005
Lap #1, hyster #1, D&C #1 and Endo diagnosis - March 2009
Engaged - November 2009
Married - January 2011
Started TTC #1 - February 2012
Ovarian reserve studies - July 2012
Lap #2, hyster #2, D&C #2, dye studies and PCS diagnosis - August 2012
Postby simmy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:43 pm

World Cup! we actually chose our wedding date around it :)

Well... The Football! so south africa for the World Cup.. then we want some romance so we chose Mauritius too...
so we're doing Mauritius, Rodriguez Island and Durban!

We got quoted ridiculous prices with agents so we did everything ourselves on various websites and some direct with airlines... worked out saving THOUSANDS! i'd recommend it to anyone. it takes a while but its so worth iT!!
Postby *The A Team* » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Wedding in Fiji, honeymoon in Fiji :!: We did at some stage think we would get married in Fiji then have honeymoon in Rarotonga, Cook Islands but then found it would mean more flights and stop overs etc that were unnecessary and take up time that could be spent at our leisure on leisure :wink:

Spending time together, as if we don't already :roll: , but enjoying things such as scuba diving, possible island hopping, just relaxing, spa treatments (for me anyway as FH doesn't enjoy being pampered....he'd prefer fishing or scuba diving over massages :lol: ).

Do/ did you arrange the honeymoon – did you use a travel agent or use the internet to book yourself?
We're using a travel agent for the whole wedding and honeymoon package who has local knowledge of Fiji as well so a bonus for us :). Must say though I did do alot of research on the resorts, flights and holiday packages before deciding to use a travel agent.
My S&T: http://www.easyweddings.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23711
Been together since: 22.04.2005
Engaged: 14.02.2008
Wedding Date: 28.10.2010
22 posts Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3

Next

Login