From ready-to-wear to couture gowns, you'll be spoiled for choice when it comes to wedding dressesView now
Nothing highlights a pale complexion like a white or ivory gown so many brides choose to have a spray tan before the big day to give them a healthy looking glow. Here are ten top tips on achieving and keeping that tan:
1. Have a trial run to make sure you are happy with the colour before the wedding. Do bear in mind that the overall effect depends on the state of your skin which can be altered by your menstrual cycle, your diet, stress, and any mediation you are taking.
2. Prepare your skin by exfoliating with a product specially designed for the tanning industry that won’t interfere with the spray tan solution. This removes the top layer of dead skin cells and will make your tan last longer.
3. Shave or wax before you have your spray tan. If you do it afterwards you will take off some of the tan. If you are using a tanning solution with bronzer try to shave at least a day before you have the tan as the bronzer can get into pores on newly shaven skin and create a spotty effect.
4. Avoid wearing perfume for a few days before you get your tan as some perfumes can permeate the skin and interfere with tanning solutions even if you have showered. This can create a peeling effect. There is no real way of knowing which products will affect your tan and which ones won’t.
5. Skip deodorant, make up, and moisturiser on the day you are having your tan applied. Some of these can interfere with the tanning solution and prevent it getting to the skin. Some deodorants even turn the tanning solution green!
6. Don’t shower for at least five hours after having your spray tan applied. If you are using a tanning solution that includes bronzer you will need to shower before you go to bed otherwise you will stain the sheets. With a clear solution you can go to bed without showering and wake up nice and tanned.
7. Avoid sweaty activities such as sport for at least four hours after you have had the tan applied. Sweat can make your tanning solution run and create patches or streaks. Avoid swimming for long periods of time with your spray tan as this will make it fade quickly.
8. Moisturise as often as possible once you have your tan to make it last longer. If dead skin cells are shed they will take your tan with them. Moisturizer will keep them attached to your body. At a minimum you should moisturise morning, night, and after taking a shower.
9. Tan the groom and any bridesmaids as well so you don’t stand out as being overly brown in the wedding photos. Choose a subtle shade so you don’t end up looking orange for your big day.
10. Apply sunscreen liberally once you are on your honeymoon. Just because you have a beautiful spray tan it doesn’t mean you are protected from the sun’s rays. You won’t need to lie out in the sun all day anyway as you will already have the perfect tan.